Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blog reviews

Blog Reviews

The first blog I chose to review was Kaye Robinson's EUUC 58025: Culture and Ice.

Before I even talk about content, I want to say how much I like Kaye's blog's layout. I love the picture bar down the right side of the page, the header, the color scheme - all of it. Clearly she took time to make this her own. This is also obviously the blog of someone who really lives in Alaska because they love it! Aside from living vicariously through someone else's awesome adventure pictures, I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Kaye's blog simply because I lived in Fairbanks for 7 years and still miss it. :)

This blog is about more than great pictures, however. I really enjoyed reading Kaye's perspective each week. Her stories from her life in different parts of Alaska were meaningful, humorous, and informative. I felt that she spoke from real knowledge and experience rather than unsupported opinion. I also noticed that I usually came away from reading her blog with a new insight or a different perspective than I'd had before. Additionally, Kaye is a good writer. Her blogs are engaging, well-written, and well-referenced without being academically dry. Thank you Kaye!



The second blog I chose to review was Dan's Alaska Connections.

Dan's blog contains many of the same qualities that I liked so much about Kaye's blog. He writes with authenticity, clarity, and thoughtfulness. Another aspect of Dan's blog that I really enjoyed were the stories he shared about how he used resources with his students. I particularly liked the way Dan has his students doing real science. In my opinion, the more "real" our lessons are, the more students will be engaged and the more value they will get from their education. It's so great to see a teacher out there doing this kind of work with their students.

Finally, every time I read one of Dan's blogs, I came away with new information, even if I'd just finished researching and posting on the same topic. We usually came at a topic from a different angle, which made reading his blog a refreshing experience. I very much like reading posts that get me out of my own head and make me take a second look at my own opinions and perspective. Dan's blog did that, and offered a series of extremely useful links and resources as well. Thank you Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment